Ugh, I know I do.
So… today, I decided to look around the internet and compile a big ol’ list of inspiration starters for my fellow writers out there to turn to if and when you may need it.
So… let’s just get to it!
Need some inspo?
- Go to an art exhibit.
- Read something you hate.
- …Or something that’s one of your all time favorites!
- Take a break and make some art.
- Talk to someone else- make it a long conversation.
- Ask yourself the absolute most random questions ever- preferably hypotheticals.
- …Get drunk.
- Watch a move… or two… or three or four.
- Close your eyes and listen to music- let your mind wander.
- Watch the news (ick… but it works!).
- Research medical conditions.
- Visit a cemetery/graveyard.
- Make a list of your favorite or least favorite childhood memories.
- Go to a garage/yard/rummage sale (whatever you want to call it).
- Research bizarre occupations.
- …or normal ones that you’re curious about!
- Go drive with the windows down and the music up.
- Go people-watching.
- …or window shopping!
- Read a newspaper.
- Take a shower for at least 30 minutes.
- Read Reddit!
- Go online shopping.
- …or go wander aimlessly in Walmart for an hour or more.
- Go outside and practice your photography skills, no mater how bad or good they are.
- Scroll through Pintrest for hours on end.
- Do a Mad Libs!
- Play around with some weird plot generators online.
- Cook something (or bake).
- Pay a friend or family member an unexpected visit.
- Write down a list of things that could make your life better… or worse.
- Buy a lottery ticket.
- Do the laundry… while trying to freestyle rap.
- Learn three or more words in a completely foreign language.
- Sit and stare at a pet for at least 15 minutes.
- Play a video game.
- Clean out your closet.
- Do a binge watch on Netflix.
- Try out origami!
- Conduct a science experiment that you always wanted to do as a kid but never got the chance to.
- Read some poems online.
- Go through an old photo album or journal.
- Talk to your houseplants like you’re a stand-up comedian.
- Do a jigsaw puzzle.
- …Or just sit and write a list of story ideas!
So, there’s my list. Some things probably seem really random or… really, really random, but they’re probably things you’d never have thought of on your own, right? And… you never know- maybe you’ll try one and see that it works really well for you!
Personally, my favorite inspiration jump-starters are… watching movies, playing video games, painting, listening to music, and reading poetry. Or… those are my go-tos, at least. I gotta do something different every once in a while, too, though… like I probably will end up doing today.
Let me know if there’s anything I left out of the list that you find helpful for inspiration or if you plan to try out anything new next time you need that jump-start!