They blow (snow), actually.
So… it’s December! And, (for me, at least) there’s a cool snowy breeze in the air… cinnamon scents coming from the kitchen… and plastic pine tree needles all over the floors!
Ah, yes, my favorite time of year. ❤
So, to commemorate and celebrate, I decided to come up with a list of holiday-themed writing prompts for y’all to pick from and take part in! And, best of all, they don’t suck (I think) and they’re not just for six year olds!
So, here’s some wondrous wintery writing prompts!
- The local church’s Christmas caroling went, to say the least, very wrong this year.
- You woke up this morning surrounded by a pack of Will Ferrel’s Elf clones. Please explain to me how and why.
- You inherited a Christmas tree farm from your parents, and they inherited it from your grandparents, them from your great-grandparents, and them from your great-great-grandparents. After your parents both tragically passed and handed the farm down to you, you were left with nothing but the deed, all of their savings money, and a very lengthy letter explaining the ‘risks’ that come along with owning the farm…
- They say Santa Clause sees you when you’re sleeping. You have proof that he does.
- You have three young children who decide to make a snowman from the first year’s blizzard outside while you do the dishes in the kitchen. After they’re finished, though, they come inside screaming at you to come see the ‘creature’ they created- a actually living and breathing Frosty the Snowman, though he’s definitely not as kid-friendly as the cartoons make him out to be.
- Your ex-wife sent you an unexpected Christmas gift this year- a hired Santa-gram that literally won’t stop following you.
- Last New Year Day, you made it your resolution to be in Times Square for the next one. Now it’s ten hours until midnight and you’re stuck in traffic five hundred miles away from New York, but you’re determined to make it there- no matter how drastic of measures you have to take.
- ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring… except for your pet iguana, who was suddenly talking to, apparently, the ghost of her Christmas past.
- It’s your family holiday feast time! And it’s all so great and fun around the dinner table… until your Aunt Brenda insults your Aunt Ruby’s potato salad, which she does not take well, and then you suddenly remember that you forgot to hide the knives before everyone came over this year…
And there you go! A number of holiday-themed writing prompts to get you through the slow days of snow and hot coco this season!
And, if you don’t live somewhere where you get to experience snow this time of year (or at all, actually)… I’m sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine life without this powdery cold bliss.
(Also apologize if I had an excessive amount of Christmas prompts… because, honestly, all I could think of were references to Christmas movies and songs and such; they need to make more of that stuff about Kwanzaa and Hanukkah and such.)
Let me know if you use any of my prompt ideas and/or if you thought they were pretty awesome!